Up to few days ago, the only way to root the Wildfire S was using the XTC-Clip to get S-OFF (if it wasn’t already). Now, on the 8 of December 2012, it’s not necessary anymore! Please be aware that in the next few days the following procedure may not be up to date.
- First you need to UNLOCK the BOOTLOADER, you just follow the procedure on HTC dev website: http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader at the end of this step you should see the ULOCKED in the boot menu of your phone
- The phone now is still S-ON, and it will remain like that but we will be able to root it anyways!
- Then we could just use the HTC Super Tool (v3): http://barbey.me/ but in my case a little trick was necessary, so just download and unzip it for now
- Download and install (if you haven’t already done during step 1) the android SDK: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
- Now the trick is overwriting the file adb.exe from the SDK with the one of the Super Tool
- Start the Super Tool and follow steps 1 and 3 or 1 and 2, the reboot!
- To check if it’s finally rooted use for instance this app